"Bag of Bolts" by [currently Anonymous]
G, gen, 7K words
Natalie, Tessa, Duncan, OCs
Summary: Natalie attends an ME convention at a hotel where Tessa is installing a sculpture. Danger. Bonding. Pie.
More like Yuletide than FKFicFest, the HLH_Shortcuts prompt slates seem to be pretty loose suggestions. I didn't specifically request (or imagine) this scenario. All credit to the author for the happy surprise.
Of both series, I do dearly love their first seasons, when motivations were clear and rich, and triumphant possibilities endless. Their first seasons, I rewatch just for fun, just for joy.
I'm not positive that I'll play, but I'm leaning toward it. How about you? In "large" fandoms, a woman character is eligible if she appears in under 20% of the fanfiction. (Tessa Noel, btw, is tagged in under 2% — yep, two; that's not a typo — of the HL fanfic on AO3. I feel that Tessa epitomizes the "rare" woman character.)
( my likely nominations )
At this time, gehayi has nominated FK, and karrenia_rune has nominated HL. None of the other fandoms in which I write are yet nominated, but it is awfully reassuring to see both FK and HL in the mix this early.
Addendum: See the masterlist for the ongoing compilation of nominated fandoms and characters.
I wrote "When Everything was New" for hl_flashfic's "Second Banana" event, to the prompt: "Alexa meets Tessa at an art show." I'd written HL in multi-fandom games before, and just because, but this was my first attempt in an HL-specific venue.
|Available:||The Ficathon | My Fansite | The AO3|
|Characters:||Tessa, Duncan, Alexa, Martin Sorrel, uncredited cameos|
|Summary:||Tessa exhibits in the juried division of the 1986 Seacouver Art & Wine festival.|
|Quotation:||"Tessa hesitated. Pressing for public reaction was rarely wise; and, usually, she was content with her own assessment and Duncan’s, other critics be hanged. But she remained unsure where her efforts fit at this festival, if they fit at all."|
- "Fight Another Day" by sholio (PG, ~1K words, Duncan and Methos and Amanda). Duncan loses a hand (as Xavier St. Cloud did) and holds on to his honor.
- "Watcher" by elistaire (G, 320 words, Joe, implied Duncan/Tessa). It's the '80s. As Joe watches Duncan, he also gets to know Tessa.
- "Next Time, Buy a Ferrari" by medie (PG, ~2K words, Methos and Connor and Heather, implied Connor/Heather). What if Methos, rather than Ramirez, had taught Connor?
- "Convent Mouse" by elistaire (G, ~2K words, original character, Methos, implied Methos/Alexa). This predator and this prey... are both survivors.
- "Spring" by devohoneybee (G, 69 words, Methos). A poem.
This is the Highlander story I contributed to the December 2008 oldschoolfic ficathon. My thanks to Dragonsinger for her prompt of "Richie never expected that his first Christmas with Duncan and Tessa would involve a swordfight," and to Batdina and Wiliqueen for beta-reading.
|•||Title:||"So This is Home" (also on AO3)|
|•||Rating:||G (gen plot, m/f subplot)|
|•||Summary:||A first-season Christmas season, with a theft at the shelter where Angie works.|
|•||Setting:||December 1992 Seacouver|
|•||Characters:||Starring Richie. Also with Duncan, Tessa, Angie, Randi, Powell and many more.|