The story that I wrote for the 2016 hlh_shortcuts released (appropriately) on December 21: the winter solstice, Duncan MacLeod's birthday. The fest authors revealed (even more appropriately) on January 6: Epiphany.
This is the first time that I've participated in this fest. I was all over anxious that I'd blow it. As long and deep as I've loved HL, my HL love doesn't usually seem to fit in HL fandom. Many, many thanks to argentum_ls and skieswideopen for each helping me brainstorm toward the story. When it came, the idea warranted a novella, but the time allowed a short. (Thanks also to skieswideopen, celli, and sholio for beta-reading at the last minute, catching typos and confusions!)
|On the AO3:||"Ships in the Night"|
|Setting:||Winter 2017, Oakland, CA; divergent reality; branched from canon in early fifth season|
|Summary:||A hundred times since he’d tried to lay down his sword, Richie had walked away without a confrontation. Didn’t look like this was gonna be one of those times.|
If you read it, please consider letting me know what I should learn from this to improve the next? (And check out the other fest stories!)
I'm often canon-bound. This "Clan Denial" request cracked that shell. I discovered that I very much like the man Richie might have grown to be, given the example and support of those he respects and loves.
"Bag of Bolts" by [currently Anonymous]
G, gen, 7K words
Natalie, Tessa, Duncan, OCs
Summary: Natalie attends an ME convention at a hotel where Tessa is installing a sculpture. Danger. Bonding. Pie.
More like Yuletide than FKFicFest, the HLH_Shortcuts prompt slates seem to be pretty loose suggestions. I didn't specifically request (or imagine) this scenario. All credit to the author for the happy surprise.
Of both series, I do dearly love their first seasons, when motivations were clear and rich, and triumphant possibilities endless. Their first seasons, I rewatch just for fun, just for joy.
Stories have now begun releasing — the winter solstice is Duncan MacLeod's birthday — and may continue up to the edge of the Yuletide release, if I've counted correctly. If you're looking for new stories to enjoy until then, you may want to follow on LJ (hlh_shortcuts) or the AO3 (HL Secret Santa 2016 collection).
This game releases anonymously, and then they see who can guess the most authors correctly. I trust that you, here, can spot my writing a mile off in such a context. :-) But it's theoretically a secret, so, shhh! :-)
- Sign-ups close: 10/09/16
- Assignments sent: By 10/11/16
- Submission deadline: 12/15/16
- Releasing: 12/20/16.
Historically, this game has been played on LiveJournal only, with players emailing their stories to the mod, who posts them second-hand on LJ. This year, the mod says that she may set up to use the AO3 instead, but it doesn't look like that's certain yet.
Minimum length: only 500 words.
Right now, the per episode HD price is much better on Google Play, while the whole season price is much better on Amazon. Only Amazon offers SD at this time (I think that Google Play doesn't do SD).
(I saw the first few episodes of Highlander: The Raven when they aired, but it was an unsettled time in my life, and those first few episodes didn't happen to capture my imagination. The series didn't re-run; I never got around to buying the DVDs; it's not available for streaming.)
- "The Beginning of Always" by hafital (~11K words, R for violence; Methos, Duncan, Joe, Amanda, others). Set c.2003 in Seacouver, this story wraps its Duncan/Methos romance frame around a plot and themes that refresh common tropes and mine the early seasons of the series as well as the late.
- "Something Called Living" by ladysilver (~20K words, PG; crossover with Forever; Richie, Henry, Joe, Abe, others). Set c.2015 in New York, in a divergent reality where Richie lived, this story is very like what an on-screen canonical HL/F crossover would have been, if such a thing could have been (except that Jo and Duncan don't actually appear).
- "Ace in the Hole" by ladysilver (~3K words, G; Joe, Methos). Set after hours in Joe's, this is an overtly old-fashioned "argument" story, an explication of some canon points wrapped up tidily in a fun little plot, the way some used to write them back when we lived on email lists.
- "Like New" by merriman (~4K words, G; Richie, Methos). This story nips and tucks canon to make Richie meet Adam Pierson even before Duncan does, rendering Richie at his most earnest a trial to Methos, who pretends to be completely new to immortality.
I haven't yet read any. I will!
As usual in this fest, the entries look very heavy on the latter-season characters, settings, and themes, especially the D/M pairing and Amanda, which should greatly please most HL fans. Richie appears in at least 3 stories so far, which should please a bloc of fans. There are